RE: [Zope-dev] Zope & Cygwin

Chris McDonough writes:

>Note that I was able to get Zope up and running using Cywin after:
>
>- upgrading to the most recent snapshot Cywgin dll (cygwin1-20011016.dll),
>which was as easy as copying the file over the existing 1.3.3 version of
>cywin1.dll.  I didn't futz with building anything Cygwin-related out of
CVS.

>- recompiling Cygwin python with thread support (which was a matter of
>"./configure; make; make install" with the Cygwin Python sources, as Norman
>said).
>
>- rerunning $PY_SRC/Tools/scripts/h2py.py against the fcntl.h file that
>lives in Cygwin's /usr/include/sys and saving the resulting FCNTL.py file
in
>/usr/local/lib/python2.1/plat-cygwin/FCNTL.py

Ooops - good catch I keep forgetting to mention this step
We should really figure out a way to automagically do this in the python
build process

>I then compiled the Zope trunk using Cygwin Python and GCC via a simple
>"python wo_pcgi.py" and ran it via "./start", and voila!  It at least
>appears to work!  Very nice... thanks very much for the
>heads-up, Norman.

:-)

>I need to buy the guys at Cygnus a beer or a yacht or something.

Maybe a yacht full of beer :-)

also of note
http://apache.dev.wapme.net

FYI
I have managed to patch the python 2.1.1 sources to build
the winreg module with Cygwin.  It is a fairly  pervasive patch in
that it python then has to know both the 'posix' and the 'Win32'
way of handling unicode, error systems, ect.

Because of the breadth of this  I have held off submitting the patch
to the Python SourceForge collector but I am wondering if this would
be useful for Zope development ?

Cheers

Norman