Propagation

I am really pleased now that cygwin is more complete and has the new
"mount" virtual file system.  I can now treat all my boxes the same as far
as most command line oriented operations are concerned.

But a lot of very useful apps open source, and not, written for windows use
the C:\blah\file path system

A nudge to them could be offering a tiny code snippet that will:

detect the presense of cygwin mount registry entries, if they are there
translate a path in a buffer from the cygwin path to the associated windows
path and return a flag indicating whether cr/lf translation is set on.  Or
leave a windows path untouched.

ret = toCygpath(const char *inbuff,char *outbuf, int maxlen);

(the reverse would be nice too :)

It should be completely stand alone with no dependencies on cygwin
dlls.  This so it could very easily be installed in windows apps that are
not presently "cygwin" compatible, but may wish to be without being
dependent on it.  This snippet should be commercially usable to encourage
it to be included in as many apps as possible.

It would be really cool if the cygwin mount system could become a windows
environment industry wide shared resource and help get rid of the
^%$$^#^%$^$ colon (outside of a URL) and the backslash.  I know I woudl put
it in my code.

I would write it if there is a concensus on it, though I'm sure the
fictionality is in the cygwin codebase already and it shouydl be used ;^>

PK