Re: simple execvp test

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:25:21PM +0200, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> >This mail is inspired by an offlist discussion with James Lee about vi
> >execution before "cvs commit" command.
> >
> >Given the following simple test he says nothing happens after he
> >executes it, as happens with the "cvs commit" command which fails to
> >execute vi with the following error code "cannot exec vi: No such file
> >or directory".
> >
> >#include <unistd.h>
> >
> >int main() { char *arg[] = { 0 };
> >
> >execvp("vi", arg);
> >
> >return 0; }
> >
> >If he sets for example the EDITOR variable to /usr/bin/vi then cvs
> >suceeds in executing vi.
> >
> >So is this a known problem with execvp assuming that it should search
> >the path for the executable.
>
> I can't duplicate any problem with your test case.  It works as expected
> for me.  Ditto, cvs.

Yes that's why I'm curios - it doesnt happen on every setup. However
here is something which is different from most standard cygwin installs:
He installed it in the root of his C: drive

C:\bin  /usr/bin  system  textmode
C:\lib  /usr/lib  system  textmode
C:    /        system  textmode

Found: C:\bin\bash.exe
Found: \bin\bash.exe
Warning: C:\bin\bash.exe hides \bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\bin\cat.exe
Found: \bin\cat.exe
Warning: C:\bin\cat.exe hides \bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\bin\cpp.exe
Found: \bin\cpp.exe
Warning: C:\bin\cpp.exe hides \bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\bin\find.exe
Found: \bin\find.exe
Warning: C:\bin\find.exe hides \bin\find.exe
Found: C:\bin\gcc.exe
Found: \bin\gcc.exe
Warning: C:\bin\gcc.exe hides \bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\bin\gdb.exe
Found: \bin\gdb.exe
Warning: C:\bin\gdb.exe hides \bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\bin\ld.exe
Found: \bin\ld.exe
Warning: C:\bin\ld.exe hides \bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\bin\ls.exe
Found: \bin\ls.exe
Warning: C:\bin\ls.exe hides \bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\bin\make.exe
Found: \bin\make.exe
Warning: C:\bin\make.exe hides \bin\make.exe
Found: C:\bin\sh.exe
Found: \bin\sh.exe
Warning: C:\bin\sh.exe hides \bin\sh.exe

Here is his path which may give additional details too:

ygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Fri Oct 19 15:50:23 2001

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195 Service Pack 2

        /usr/bin
        /bin
        /Oracle/Ora81/bin
        /Program Files/Oracle/jre/1.1.7/bin
        /usr/local/bin
        /usr/bin
        /usr/bin
        /dev/ant/bin
        /WINNT/system32
        /WINNT
        /WINNT/System32/Wbem
        .
        /dev/ant/bin
        /usr/local/emacs/bin

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

I'm looking at the spawn_guts code to see if
there is something in this setup which may
broke execvp.