RE: GCC 3.0.2 Prerelease

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 09:29:36PM -0400, Piyush Kumar wrote:
> >Have u already built the pre-release! Or has someone else?  If yes, is
> >there some directions on what needs to be done! Where should I goto to
> >look at this kind of stuff in the future.  Any ideas!
>
> I have no plans on building gcc 3.0.2, currently.  I'm the gcc maintainer,
> although I have asked a few times for volunteers to take this over.

Maybe someday I'm good enough to take over this! For now I'm struggling
to just use the snapshots :)

> >I didnt find any one talking about the GCC 3.0.2 pre-release in the
> >cygwin mailing list, so asked it in the gcc mailing list.  I will post
> >my questions to the cygwin mailing list from now on.
>
> It's a safe bet that I will never go to the effort of building a *pre*
> release.  That would just be a lot of work for no real gain.  If/when
> gcc 3.x becomes the official cygwin release, I'll probably base it
> on an official gcc release.

If u released a gcc that didnt work well on Cygwin, I'm sure
I would be one of the first people to complain ;)

> Ok.  I have a reason.  The reason is that it is cruicial that we have a
> known stable/good version of gcc for our applications.  Releasing a
> version of gcc with code generation bugs would be catastrophic.  There
> is a higher probability that a real gcc release would be stable than
> some random prelease or CVS release.

Now that I started compiling stuff myself, after waiting for so long for
gcc 3.0.1 on the mirror sites...I realize that its not a bad idea to wait
a bit more and get something that works. :)

--Piyush