Re: ssh-add - Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

At 10:58 AM 10/30/2001, mincy@rcn.com wrote:

>I just tried to upgrade again (after having previously run into the
>authentication agent issue)  Unfortunately the ssh-add issue still exists.
>When I do ssh-add I get:
>  Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.
>
>As suggested in:
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01368.html
>The bug is in cygwin1.dll.  My current version of the cygwin package
>is 1.3.3-2 and the previous is 1.3.2-1, where it worked.  It appeas
>that cygwin package has not been updated since the september release
>that introduced the problem?
>
>As suggested I downloaded a recent snapshot.  cygwin1-20011029.dll.bz2
>from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/snapshots/ and put the
>uncompressed dll into c:/bin.
>
>The ssh-add problem is fixed but then when I try to do
>    ssh -X -f host xemacs ...
>I get
>    write failed: the descriptor is a file, not a socket.
>
>So, I presume that I need to get more of the snapshot?
>Or perhaps the cygwin package will be updated soon?

Snapshots are suggested so that people can help determine if problems
are fixed before the next release.  It helps make things more reliable.
Snapshots are always changing however.  They're made at least every few
days.  If you'd like to test them out, you can do so.  However, just
doing so doesn't mean you will see your problem magically fixed or that
others won't arise.  These are works-in-progress.  If you don't want
to help out in this way, that's fine but you will have to wait for the
next release to see if your problem has been fixed.  Or, better yet, see
what you can do to help debug the issue.  This usually moves things along
much quicker than hoping someone else will pick up and fix your issue.

As to when 1.3.4 will be released, the best one can say at this time is
"soon".  Regardless, 1.3.4 will be made from a snapshot so if you
see problems with snapshots as they progress, it's very likely that the
release will have the problem as well.