Re: cygrunsrv and postgresql

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:07:45PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> You probably have a stale pid file.  It's something very
> annoying when you don't do a proper shutdown, and don't have
> proper startup scripts.  I'm still looking for a good solution to
> this.

This is indeed an annoying problem.  I wonder if we should add
yet-another feature to cygrunsrv, causing it to execute a
specified bash command before starting the service.  This command
could perform necessary pre-start cleanup, such as removing the PID
file, either directly or by calling a script to do the work.

[All this really makes one appreciate the simplicity of Unix-style
/etc/init.d start/stop scripts.]

Anyway, just to elaborate on the prior message, the "stale pid" file
is the "postmaster.pid" file kept in the $PGDATA folder.  In my case
it's typically named "/var/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid".

> It might also help if you tell it to use a log file, redirect
> stdout (and stderr?) to some file, and it should also give a clue why
> postmaster refuses to start.

Cygrunsrv arranges to log stdout and stderr by default, appending to
"/var/log/$service_name.log".

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370