RE: 'mkgroup -d' does not return groups local to the PDC

> If you want local groups, you should use mkgroup -l. You might be
> able to use mkgroup -l remotely (via rsh or rlogin etc) but you
> shouldn't even expect it to do that (the local groups on Supervisor
> are NOT local to Foreman). It isn't automated, but you could just
> cat the entries from Supervisor's /etc/group (done with mkgroup -l)
> to Foreman's /etc/group.

Unfortunately not an option since I don't control the PDC and am
not allowed to install Cygwin on it. The only reason I have the
Domain Admin password is so I can add/remove users from certain
groups.

> Just because NT confuses local and domain groups, doesn't mean that
> cygwin should try to make the same mistake, ergo you shouldn't expect
> cygwin to act like NT, it should act like UNIX.

I can see the point, and agree.

> I think John is correct here, mkgroup -d should ONLY give groups from
> the domain, if it gets local groups too that would just be
> contrary to the intended behavior.

What about 'mkgroup -d DOMAIN -l' extracting the local groups from
the domain server?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to avoid having to
have to create seperate user accounts just for my machine.

ttfn,

-matt