Re: no more package moratorium?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 06:29:33PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> That seems a reasonable thing to me.

Yeah, I think we will drop the package moratorium in the next days.

> It does raise an interesting point: who, when, and how, do new packages
> get approved?

That's a problem when getting lots of new packages.  The forum for
discussion and the approval process is cygwin-apps.  However, it's
not the forum to send loads of tar archives so we will have to find
some standarized way as, just as an example:

- Potential contributor announces on cygwin-apps that s/he wants
  to contribute package `foo' with a short description what the
  package does and what has been done to fullfil Cygwin requirements
  (textmode/binmode issues, sending a setup.hint file which shows
  the dependencies to other packages, etc.)

- cygwin-developers discusses if the package should become part of
  the distro and chooses a person from cygwin-developers as approver.

- The contributor gets asked to upload the package (bin+src tar.bz2
  archives) to an upload area on cygwin.com or by sending it to
  the approver.  That's the approver's choice.

- When the approver thinks the package is ok,  the contributor
  is (obligatory!) asked if s/he's willing to maintain the package
  in future and if s/he's willing to announce officially when
  s/he's not anymore willing to maintain the package.

- The package gets uploaded and the contributor becomes official
  Cygwin maintainer for that package.

- When the contributor/maintainer announces to drop maintainership,
  we will ask for another person willing to maintain the package
  further.  If we don't find another person within, say, three months,
  the package will be removed from the distro.

Something like that.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.