Re: new site for my ports is up

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:30:46 +1100 Robert Collins wrote:

Robert> ----- Original Message -----
Robert> From: "John Marshall" <jmarshall@acm.org>

>> Over in RPM land, I have users telling me that they want the

"some users" I hope. Definitely not all:)

>> package managed (and thus uninstallable via rpm/setup), rather than
>> by whether it happens to come from the vendor.

That's a nice idea...

Robert> Good point.

But I don't think so. After all there is /usr for the vendor,
/usr/local for local stuff, and then there is still /opt and
("sometimes") /usr/local/opt. I think nowadays the best solution is to
put non-vendor non-local stuff into /opt.

And I can live with the current theme that a rpm I download is not
"local". But if it's not from the vendor, it obviousy isn't:)

>> So I get flamed for producing a .rpm that installs to /usr/local, and
>> am probably going to change to /usr because I think they're right.

Well, have you considered /opt?

Robert> I actually don't think that 'off-site' really means much w.r.t. where a
Robert> package installs.

But it does mean soemthing in regard to where I look for that
package. If I nuke all of /usr but /usr/local and then reinstall the
vendor system, I expect my system to work as before (well, beside
config and such).

Greetings,
Jochen
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll