Re: tetex-beta nitpicking [WAS: Re: no more package moratorium?]

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:
 > Strange, we haven't had any complaints.  It seemst that MiKTeX
 > installs and runs flawlessly.  Note that, of course, MiKTeX is
 > packaged in a tarball and installed through setup.exe.  Maybe our
 > Windows users are all using that latest software?

Is it really only me running WinNT without IE > 2?

 > > Did you install the teTeX texmf tree?
 >
 > No, I installed tetex-beta, that's all the tetex that setup.exe will
 > install, right?  That's why we still have to distribute and maitain
 > our own, modified setup.exe and repository (apart from the just lifted
 > package moratorium).
 >
 > > Just installing Tetex-beta is not enough, as explained by the
 > > Tetex-beta readme.
 >
 > Yes, I know.  That's why we can't use it.  Users in general won't read
 > READMEs, let alone they would be able to follow simple instructions
 > :-(
 >
 > The fact that there's a README with instructions, instead of an
 > additional tetex package, for example, tells me that there is some
 > intelligent user-interaction required.

Now I see. We're talking about semi-intelligent end-users ;-/ I see no
easy way how Cygwin setup.exe could provide a full TeX system unless a
copy of the teTeX texmf tree is made part of the distribution. Would
that be possible?

regards,
Markus

--