Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mt-2.0.1-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I've updated the version of mt to 2.0.1-1.
>
> This version completely get's rid of the WinNT tape API.  It uses
> only Cygwin calls to perform it's functionality.  It's _not_
> independent of the OS, though, since it still prints all the
> additional WinNT specific information on `mt status'.
>
> - The default device name is now "/dev/tape".  Since that doesn't
>   exist in Cygwin by default, just create a convenient symlink as
>   e.g.
>
>         mkdir /dev
>         ln -s /dev/st0 /dev/tape

My current mounts seem to allow me to reach the second tape drive
(/dev/tape1 in the new regime?) but the tape rewound after stopping the
tape with a ^C and then issuing

mt -f /dev/nrmt0 status 2

Positioning using (//./tape1 mounted as) /dev/nrmt0 didn't seem to leave
the tape positioned.

Should I abandon the use of mounted tape devices?

>   It's done the same way on Linux systems.
>
>   If you don't want to create a symlink you can also just set the
>   environment variable "TAPE" to a convenient value if you like.
>   This, too, avoids that you'll have to use the -f option all the
>   time:
>
>         export TAPE=/dev/st0  (ash,bash)
>   or
>         setenv TAPE /dev/st0  (tcsh)
>
> - This version still supports setting blocksize to 0 to enable the
>   "variable blocksize" feature.
>
> - The output of `mt status' is not compatible to GNU-mt, but
>   corresponds to the abilities of the WinNT tape device driver.
>   The command `status' reports more infos on `mt status 2' or
>   `mt status 3'!
>
> - Since this `mt' uses the Cygwin device driver, please note that
>   using a rewind device name (e.g. /dev/st0) will rewind the tape
>   after the operation!  This is equivalent to Linux.  If you e.g.
>   want to move to block 3, don't be surprised that
>
>         mt -f /dev/st0 seek 3
>
>   ends up on block 0.  In these cases, use the appropriate no-rewind
>   device instead:
>
>         mt -f /dev/nst0 seek 3
>
>   Caution:  Even using the `status' command will rewind when used
>   on a rewind tape device!
>
>   Tip:
>         ln -s /dev/nst0 /dev/tape

... snip ...