Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1

Don Sharp wrote:
> ... snip ...
[Ditto]

> I now get
>
> dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
>
> It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?

It is bash, and it is intentional. According to Changes:
u.  Bash only initializes FUNCNAME, GROUPS, and DIRSTACK as special
variables
    if they're not in the initial environment.

v.  If SECONDS appears in the initial environment with a valid integer
value,
    bash uses that as the starting value, as if an assignment had been
    performed.

w.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOME, PATH, SHELL, or TERM, even though
it
    gives them default values if they don't appear in the initial
environment.

x.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOSTNAME, HOSTTYPE, MACHTYPE, or OSTYPE,
    even if it assigns them default values.

y.  Bash no longer removes the export attribute from SSH_CLIENT or
SSH2_CLIENT
    if they appear in the initial environment.

z.  Bash no longer attempts to discover if it's being run by sshd in
order to
    run the startup files.  If the SSH_SOURCE_BASHRC is uncommented in
    config-top.h it will attempt to do so as previously, but that's
commented
    out in the distributed version.

--
AJ Reins - tbisp<AT>qwest.net -or- tbisp<AT>users.sourceforge.net
Warning label I would like to see on software: