Several Suggestions...

    I am not sure where to direct this message.  It looks, to me, that the
Cygwin mailing list would get these suggestions out to the appropriate
people (and possibly to a bunch of people who might not care).  Anyway, I
have been using Unix for at least a decade and Cygwin for the past year or
so.  While Cygwin is absolutely wonderful, I do have a wish list
containing a few items of varying importance.  The list follows:

 * The whois command (http://freshmeat.net/projects/whois/), surprisingly,
seems to be missing from Cygwin.  I was able to grab the tarball, compile,
and install it from this particular whois project without any problem or
modifications.

 * Netcat (sorry, cannot find a link) is a really useful tool that I tend
to use a lot.

 * Most Unix Perl packages ship with a script called "rename" that will
rename files based on a regular expression (example: rename 's/ /_/g'
*.mp3).  I was able to copy this directly from a Debian box onto a Cygwin
box and have it run without problem.  There may be other useful "standard"
Perl scripts, as well.

 * Only once have I found the ZModem sz and rz commands useful
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/rzsz/).  They were a bitch to compile
properly under Cygwin because of Makefile problems.  I doubt most people
will need them.

 * Can you really say a system is complete without a port of the best
curses-based RPG from the 80's: NetHack?  Nevermind...

 * The tcsh configuration is very lacking.  I tend to use tcsh, instead of
bash, on Unix boxes.  Cygwin's bash ships with a decent /etc/profile file
that makes it usable.  It does not ship with any sort of /etc/csh.cshrc
or /etc/csh.login, which makes tcsh fairly unusable "out of the box"
without a lot of configuration.  I have yet to sit down and spend the time
to do this config myself, and I am sure many others are in the same boat.

 * Speaking of /etc/profile--when I last used Redhat, a few years ago, I
remember it featuring *.local files.  The packaged files like /etc/profile
had as the last line in their scripts something like "if [ -f
/etc/profile.local ]; then; . /etc/profile.local; fi".  You would put all
of your customizations in the .local file so that when the package got
updated, your changes would not get clobbered or diff'ed incorrectly.

    I can probably help with creating some of the new packages (maybe not
maintenance, though...) if work has not already been started.  Although I
have zero experience making packages as such, the instructions seem
straightforward.  License differences may or may not be an issue.
Modifications to the existing packages (e.g. tcsh or Perl) seems a little
less straightforward.

    These are merely suggestions based on my personal experience.  Heed or
ignore at your convienence.

 -E