Re: RPM 4 under cygwin

> Since Larry didn't touch this, I'll respond.  Cygwin packages can be
unpacked/interpreted/understood by a NON cygwin program (setup.exe is a
native windows app).  ALL ports of RPM that I have seen require cygwin --
which means they cannot easily be used to install cygwin itself on a virgin
system.  This is a serious drawback.

This clearly is a demonstration that cygwin would benefit from a static
compilation option. I know this is not an issue for you all, but ...

Coming back to RPM, this would be so nice to issue this command:
rpm --rebuild --target=cygwin package_name.rpms to compile any existing
apckage for Cygwin.

There are 100 times more Linux developpers than $Windows developpers. Why
to reinvent the wheel with another installation format? Do you really think
you can create a universal format including DEB and RPM? Then you need to
produce more work than the creators of these formats. This is such a
difficult project...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE