Re: Making 'su' work under a cygwin bash shell

Try using the native win2k command runas, which more closely resembles sudo than su

The su.exe from NT4 days doesn's seem to be compatible with W2k.

$ which runas
/cygdrive/c/winnt/system32/runas
$ runas
RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:<UserName> program

   /profile        if the user's profile needs to be loaded
   /env            to use current environment instead of user's.
   /netonly        use if the credentials specified are for remote access only.
   /user           <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
   program         command line for EXE.  See below for examples

Examples:
> runas /profile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
> runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
> runas /env /user:user@domain.microsoft.com "notepad \"my file.txt\""

NOTE:  Enter user's password only when prompted.
NOTE:  USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.

--
*  Peter Wohlers *