Re: gcc problems

At 04:41 PM 1/2/2002, Andrew Sidwell wrote:
>>Hello all,
>>  I'm sorry if this has been solved before, but I can't see it on the
>>mailing list archives, so I'm guessing it's not.
>
><snip>
>
>Here's a clarification of the error messages and what caused them:
>
>On a compile using GCC, a little error box with the title 'Error Starting Program' pops up, with the text, "The COLLECT2.EXE file is linked to missing export CYGWIN1.DLL:_ctype_.".
>
>In the Cygwin window itself, there is the message:
>
>gcc: installation problem, cannot exec '/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/collect2..exe': Permission denied.
>
>I'm using Win98SE, without any bcc tools, etc. installed.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>--
>Andrew Sidwell, takkaria on IRC

How'd you manage to install gcc without binutils?  Did you use setup.exe
and consciously override the install of binutils (installing gcc will
install binutils if you tell it not to)?  If you didn't use setup.exe,
then that's your problem.  The solution to either of these two scenarios
is "don't do that"(tm).  The way to avoid these types of problems in
general is to use setup.exe and do what it tells you unless you're
absolutely sure that your needs aren't met by setup.exe.  If setup.exe
won't give you what you want, you're free to proceed with any experimental
installation that you like of course.  Unfortunately for you (perhaps),
this list can't invest any time finding the problems in your custom
configuration, assuming that's what you have or were targetting.

Hope that helps some,