This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
- From: John Peacock <jpeacock at rowman dot com>
- To: "Stoddard, Isaac A" <Isaac dot Stoddard at SW dot Boeing dot com>
- Cc: "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:46:06 -0500
- Subject: Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
- References: <B08DF4D9C2673845A504D4873E75859608686FCB@XCH-SE-20.tx.boeing.com>
"Stoddard, Isaac A" wrote:
> Our corporate anti-viral filters traps cygwin-announce now. Someone has
> decided that (imagine the punctuation) "setup dot exe" is a potential virus
> vector and all list-mailed messages containing it as a character string are
> automatically blocked. Hence, I can no longer receive cygwin-announce.
> Our filters can't be the only ones blocking you guys (and other good folks'
> news) from reaching us. Would someone at your site be
> interested/able/willing to change the standard announcement text to avoid
> mentioning that executable?
Quality anti-viral filters should only block ATTACHEMENTS named "something dot
exe" not just the mention of it. My suggestion is to get a new anti-virus
program or ask your anti-virus admin to be less strident about blocking
text-only messages. This is almost certainly a "stupid admin" trick, not a
default setting in your anti-virus (or more likely firewall) config.
Director of Information Research and Technology
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
4720 Boston Way
Lanham, MD 20706
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html