libtool-devel and kde2

Hi Charles,

now I have made some tries with the new libtool devel-20010531-rc5. I have build an app using
a shared lib, which depends on another lib and the dependency code works well.
Congratulations for your good work.
I think I will note this on the kde-cygwin website.

While working with it, I noticed some problems. This may depend on a libtool and
autoconf/automake relation, which I don't know currently, but let me tell.

$ cygcheck -c | grep auto
autoconf            2.52-5
autoconf-devel      2.52-4
autoconf-stable     2.13-4
automake            1.5a-1
automake-devel      1.5-5
automake-stable     1.4p5-5

1.  configure tries to identify the cygwin environment and this fails in some case depending
on the initial setting of the CC=cc var.

$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... grep: conftest.out: No such file or directory
                                                ^^^ this depends on using cc instead of gcc
cc -E
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no

The only way to solve this problem seems to be exporting CC=gcc before configuring. Any ideas

2. I have problems configuring language specific support with libtool.Unfortunally the kde2
project is configured with the "Multiple Language Branch"-libtool which creates language
specific and files.

So using the AC_PROG_CXX in needs ltconfig for creating a valid configure, which
seems not be supported by your libtool. The kdelibs distribution contains such a file in the
admin dir, but because the relating files does not know anything about the cygwin
patch, the cxx configuration does not created proper dll's. In other words, libtool tries to
start impgen and so one.

On I found some hints relating to this
topic and there is described, that libtool 1.4 does not support ltconfig.

With a test project I'm using the following workaround in
to avoid some problems, but this is no solution for the kde2 port. So my question is, how do
I create valid cxx configurations ?

3. libtoolizing with --ltdl - problems to find the aux-dir (may be an autoconf problem)
I have made a test project with a libltdl subdir and an admin dir, which contains
administration file as used by kde. The problem is, that configuring the libltdl dir the
aux-dir was not found.

Additional I have to use the following lines to create a basic configuration for configuring
an installable
libltdl. Instead I expected - as I have read in the doc - the line "AC_LIBLTDL_INSTALLABLE"
should be enough.

This causes the kde config to create a convencience not an installable libltdl.

The following commands are used to create the project, which is appended:

libtoolize -c -f --ltdl
cp /usr/autotool/devel/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 acinclude.m4
automake -a -c --gnu -v

$ configure
	creating Makefile
	configuring in libltdl
	running /bin/sh ./configure  --enable-ltdl-install --cache-file=.././config.cache --srcdir=.
	checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) yes
	checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
	configure: error: can not find install-sh or in . ./.. ./../..
	configure: error: ./configure failed for libltdl

Thanks for any hints.

Bug reporting: