This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Cygwin mistakes directories for character devices
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- To: "James Vega" <jamessan at coe dot neu dot edu>,<cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:53:18 +1100
- Subject: Re: Cygwin mistakes directories for character devices
- References: <Pine.GSO.4.33.0201261944350.20907-100000@Inches.coe.neu.edu>
----- Original Message -----
From: "James Vega" <email@example.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 11:50 AM
Subject: Cygwin mistakes directories for character devices
> Create a directory named "comX" where X is a number.
> ls the directory and it will come up as a character device.
> This shouldn't be happening unless the directory is under /dev.
Under win9x, such filenames are invalid - they are DOS devices, and
cygwin maintains win9x compatability. If you want correct behaviour
under NT, perhaps you could submit a patch.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html