This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- To: "Justin Clift" <justin at postgresql dot org>,"Christopher Faylor" <cgf at redhat dot com>,"Rick Rankin" <rick_rankin at yahoo dot com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl at sss dot pgh dot pa dot us>
- Cc: "Joerg Hessdoerfer" <Joerg dot Hessdoerfer at sea-gmbh dot com>,"Cygwin Mailing List" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:43:35 +1100
- Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin
- References: <email@example.com> <3C5383B3.49EA213E@postgresql.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Clift" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: "Christopher Faylor" <email@example.com>; "Rick Rankin"
<firstname.lastname@example.org>; "Tom Lane" <email@example.com>
Cc: "Joerg Hessdoerfer" <Joerg.Hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com>; "Cygwin
Mailing List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2002 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems with initdb on Cygwin
> Hi Rick,
> Thanks heaps for the offer. :)
> One of our users Joerg kindly pointed out a solution (and when tested,
> it solved the problem).
> It seems there's a lack of info about needing cygipc to be installed
> when installing cygwin.
I believe it's mentioned in /usr/doc/Cygwin/Postgresql-version.README.
> Would it be possible to add something about it to the cygwin FAQ?
> possible PostgreSQL is the only one affected, but I'm not sure.
PostgreSQL is the only one affected. For licencing reasons we cannot
integrate the cygipc package into the cygwin1.dll, and the correct
location for the IPC functionality is to be closely tied to the
There is work in progress to replace cygipc, but until then, the package
maintainers decided against including cygipc, as it would likely reduce
the motivation to create the replacement.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html