Re: Pls. help : passwd - misunderstanding

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:09:00AM +0000, Tiffany Chan wrote:
> Cygwin 1.3.3 is installed in a normal win 2000
> advanced server A (SP2). Server A connected to Domain,
> but it is not DC.
> Local users are created in Server A. "passwd" and
> "group" files are created by,
> $ mkgroup -l > /etc/group
> $ mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
> When I telnet to server A (by Cygwin) with local users
> account and change password,
> $ passwd
> Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8
> characters).
> Please use a combination of upper and lower case
> letters and numbers.
> Old password: <<<local user type old password here>>>
> Bad password: Too short.

The old password is checked against the SAM of the logon
domain by calling

  NetUserChangePassword(NULL, username, oldpasswd, oldpasswd);

which should work if there are no password restricions and
the oldpasswd is correct.  If you have a password restriction
on server A, this call already fails.  That's not quite correct
but I can't say anything else then the last time.  The error
message is generated as a result of this Win32 call.  It's
*not* a Cygwin error message, it's a Windows error message.

However, I've changed passwd in the developers sources so that
it only exits when the old password is explicitely wrong
(NetUserChangePassword() returns ERROR_INVALID_PASSWORD).

This should help.  If you need it soon, try it from one of
the next developer snapshots.

Cygwin Developer
Red Hat, Inc.

Unsubscribe info: