DirectX8/DirectInput + cygwin

Hello there,

I've searched the archives high and low and can't seem to find a solution to
my problem.

When compiling a DirectInput8 function such as DirectInput8Create() I get an
error linking:

Unable to resolve DirectInput8Create@20

I am linking directly with the .lib files supplied by Microsoft, and all the
Directx8 GUID references seem to link fine so does anybody have any idea
what the problem might be?

What version of DirectX are the directX libs in /usr/libs/ created for?

As an extra note, gcc v3.00->3.02 won't compile unknwn.h without an internal
compiler error, but v3.03 seems fine.

Regards