Re: /usr/bin/env - Incorrect parsing of #! line?

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 09:52:23AM -0500, Chet Ramey wrote:
>>The problem looks to be that bash "helps out" the system by executing
>>scripts beginning with #!.  In the source for bash, look in
>>execute_cmd.c, line 3369.  Only one argument is allowed.  So e.g.
>>#!/usr/bin/env perl -w becomes "/usr/bin/env" "perl -w" If I make a
>>patch for this, should it go to the cygwin list?  Should it just go to
>>gnu.bash.bug and leave it at that?
>
>Only if the kernel doesn't do it, as discovered by configure.
>Virtually all Unices understand that executable format in the kernel.
>Cygwin does, too.

Right.  And, as I have noted, we're not going to be changing either
cygwin or bash.  The current behavior seems to be consistent with a
number of UNIXes.  I just tried it on OSF1 v3.2 and irix 5.3.  Same
result as cygwin.

Let's lay this one to rest.  Nothing is going to change.  Find some
other way to accomplish what you need to do.  Continued speculation
on how to change cygwin or bash is going to get you nowhere.

cgf