newbie questions

Hi,
I got couple of questions and I'd appreciate your help ;o))
I'm new to cygwin and pretty new to linux.
I was looking for .profile, .bashrc and .inputrc
but i can't find them how come ???
In User manual it says that Ican set %HOME% in properties but i got
no such
thing....
Finally I got confused about binary and text mode :o(
The best thing would be to get emacs I figure, but then where from (
what
distro ) and how to install it ???
Where is /dev with:
tty, ttySA0 etc..
CAn i just load normal linux packages such as setserial ??? if yes
than i386 ??
/thanks
/marcin
PS I'm not in the list so I'd appreciate direct email
PS2.. is there a IRC channel with all of you guys ??

Thanks in advance
/marcin pakula