Core dumped just only with strcat!

I have installed recently cygwin in order to compile a piece of code
which compiled an d worked fine in Linux, using Gtk and MySQL libraries.
It compiles fine, but it dumps a core just only with a "strcat". I do the
following:

char request[500];
request[0]=3D'\0';
strcat(request,"SELECT * FROM data");

And in that last instruction, it dumps a core.

Could you help me?

Thanks,

Dani P.