Re: /usr/bin/env - Incorrect parsing of #! line?

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com> wrote:

> Well if env documentation states a particular behavior and that
> behavior is not what you see, then there is a bug in env or it's
> documentation.

What made me believe that "#!/usr/bin/env perl -w" should work was
the following part of the documentation for env:

   NAME
          env - run a program in a modified environment

   SYNOPSIS
          env [OPTION]... [-] [NAME=VALUE]... [COMMAND [ARG]...]

It clearly says that the command (COMMAND) takes arguments (ARG).
Indeed it does on the command line, but not on the shebang line.

> You should contact it's maintainer and since it appears to be a
> general issue, you should contact the GNU maintainer, not the
> Cygwin.

I'm not sure what to do, if anything, since this behaviour seems
to be so common.  For all I know, someone might count on it.

Peter

--
People say I'm indifferent, but I don't care.