Re: setup.exe (cinstall) bugfixes + minor new feature

>> Therefore, I would like setup to remember the fact that the
>> user has deliberately unchecked the boxes. I don't understand
>> why anyone would want the shortcuts deleted and recreated
>> every time the run setup?
>
> I can think of reasons :}. The first one being that as a sysadmin I
> might want to force every user to get shortcuts - without being
> prompted. Now a shared cygwin install does not imply shared profiles -
> desktop and start menu locations - so the ability to turn off the prompt
> and always create is thus useful.

But the user will need to run setup.exe and follow it through all the way
anyway. If they've managed to get through package selection, does forcing
the choice of shortcut creation help? Or do you have big things planned for
setup (full unattended setup from an answer file?)?.

> I will proceed with fixing that bug, and investigate the use
> of a setup.conf file. Are there any objections to using
> windows {Get,Set}PrivateProfileInt API calls? Or should I
> investigate the setup.ini parsing code, and try to use that?

> Neither :}. I've a model in mind for persistence for all the currently
> diverse setup options. Seriously though, for now, code it with
> Get|Set... And I'll get my model documented and into code at some point.

If this is going to be interim only, do you mind if I stick with my
inhibit-?-icon files?

> Rob

Max.