is anyone able to successfully use make/grep from within xemacs/cygwin?

Ever since upgrading from cygwin 1.3.2 (quite a few months ago),
I have had a lot of difficulty with running subprocesses for
make and grep from within xemacs.  At first they would fail
only sometimes, but since upgrading to more recent versions of
cygwin, they fail almost every time.

When I launch a make within xemacs (via M-x compile), the
subprocess almost always hangs.  The output buffer shows

    cd /wherever/.../
    make -k

and that's it.  Doing a kill-compilation sometimes has no
effect, and I have to so it several times to actually kill
the subprocess.

When I launch a grep (via M-x grep), the problem is slightly
different.  The subprocess always completes, but often does
not produce any matches in the output buffer even when there
are definitely matches.  Sometimes it works fine.

These problems have severely crippled my development
productivity.  I have resorted to running make and grep
from the bash shell outside of xemacs and just manually
processing the errors/matches, losing all the benefits
of running these subprocesses from within xemacs.

I have searched several mailing lists for cygwin and xemacs
and have found a couple of people with similar problems, but
there have been no followups to those messages, or to the
message I originally posted about this in September.

My version info:
- XEmacs 21.4 (patch 6) (i686-pc-cygwin)
- Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2
- Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.3.10
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 51
        Shared data: 3
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Mon Feb 25 11:14:34 EST 2002
        Shared id: cygwin1S3

PLEASE: if either
- you know anything about this problem, OR
- you have no problems using the same functionality
LET ME KNOW!

Please reply to ptaylor@rational.com.

Thanks,
Patrick

Below is an earlier message about this issue from September.
I received no replies.

I just upgraded to the latest cygwin DLL version 1.3.3-2.
I'm using Windows 2000 Pro with SP 2.

I immediately started experiencing problems with subprocesses
in my cygwin version of xemacs (XEmacs 21.4 (patch 3) "Academic
Rigor" [Lucid] (i686-pc-cygwin) of Thu May 17 2001 on SHALOM).

When I launch a make within xemacs, it often hangs immediately.

When I launch a grep within xemacs, it always completes but
sometimes finds no matches when there are definitely matches.
Very odd.

Again, these problems are sporadic, but fairly frequent.
I do not have these problems with make or grep launched directly
from bash.

Has anyone else experienced this or have a clue what the problem
might be?  Please respond by email, since I do not subscribe to
these lists.

Thanks,
Patrick Taylor
ptaylor@rational.com