Re: ps within DOS

At 02:54 PM 3/29/2002 -0800, Brian Warn wrote:
>As part of a (win32) perl program I'm running, I'm trying to run a
>system ps command and return to the DOS shell (or whatever the shell is
>known as in Win2K).  From the command line, I can do the following, but
>I stay in the bash shell:
>
>C:> c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat | ps | exit
>
>[ ps info here ]
>
>my_machine $
>

>The bottom line is that I want to read process info into an array as
>follows:
>
>@my_array=`cygwin.bat | ps | grep "desired string"`;
>
>Any help is appreciated!
>
>Thanks,
>Brian

Cygwin is working properly here, and I don't think running this code under
Cygwin perl is going to help.

The problem is a poor understanding of the way shells work wrt input and
output. Your command calls cmd.exe, the win32 shell, with the string
'cygwin.bat | ps | grep "desired string"', or "run cygwin.bat, pipe the
output through ps, and pipe that output through grep". Cygwin.bat probably
calls "bash --login -i". The switch -i means "interactive shell", which is
why you get a bash prompt. (If you really wanted to call bash just to run a
single program -- a shell script, say -- you can do that with -c; see "man
bash" or "info bash" for more information.) Then you try to pipe the output
of cygwin.bat into ps, and then into grep.

Perhaps you're not aware that Cygwin utilities can be called under shells
other than bash. Also, perl has a builtin grep that is more efficient than
calling the external utility.

@my_array = grep {/regexp/} `ps`;

Or, using external grep:

@my_array = `ps | grep "string"`;

As mentioned above, this will pass the backquoted string to cmd.exe, so if
you get a 'file not found' error, check your Windows PATH.

Jeremy