Re: Bash bug? - piped loops using builtin echo and stdout

Larry, Stuart,

I did not look closely enough at the output when I ran my test. I was
expecting some more dramatic failure, I guess.

I do _not_ see proper alternation of "foo" and "bar."

The transpositions occur in iterations

33
45
51
54
64
69
74
79
83
98
105
110
114
122
140
147
154
163
174
190
203
208
214
217

I don't see a pattern, so I suppose some sort of race condition is
suggested. Perhaps the wait(2) system call used by the shell after the fork
for the built-in echo is not really waiting. (BASH should fork for that
command, right?)

Strace might give useful information or it might perturb things to the
point the symptom is no longer seen.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA