problem with telnet and ftp server on win 2K

I've discovered that I cannot successfully telnet into my Win 2K box using
the cygwin inetd, there is also a problem with the ftp service. I've
installed inetd as per instructions, and installed it as a service.

When I use telnet to attempt to log in, everything goes OK until the point
where a shell should be started, at that point I get a pop-up box appearing
on my Win 2K screen with the title "bash.exe - Application Error" and the
text "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click on
OK to terminate the application." When I click on OK my telnet session ends
with the message "Connection closed by foreign host."

When I use ftp to connect to the Win 2K box, the connection succeeds, and I
can transfer files in both directions, but when I use the DIR command, I get
a pop-up box appearing on the Win 2K screen exactly as for telnet described
above, except that the first word of the title is "ls.exe" instead of
"bash.exe".

If you have any information, or if you can confirm that this is a bug,
please let me know. Thanks.