write(2) return codes

Hi,

I've been doing some work on porting gnome to run on cygwin. One problem
which I recently discovered in testing bonobo is that the write(2) system
call seems to return the EACCES in the case where it should return EBADF.
Here is a piece of code which demonstrates it:

#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <errno.h>
main () {
int fd = open("/tmp/test1", O_RDONLY);
int ret = write(fd, "foo", 3);
fprintf(stderr,"%d\n", errno);
}

And the strace output from it

   98  342468 [main] a 4016 _open: 3 = open (/tmp/test1, 0x0)
  125  342593 [main] a 4016 _write: write (3, 0x40104F, 3)
  104  342697 [main] a 4016 fhandler_base::write: binary write
  119  342816 [main] a 4016 seterrno_from_win_error:
/cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.3.10-1/winsup/cygwin/fhandler.cc:279 errno 5
  102  342918 [main] a 4016 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 5 ==
errno 13
   95  343013 [main] a 4016 fhandler_base::write: -1 = write (0x40104F, 3)
   95  343108 [main] a 4016 _write: -1 = write (3, 0x40104F, 3)

Note that windows returns error code 5, access denied, which is mapped on to
EACCES. Bonobo expects either EBADF (which solaris returns in this case) or
EINVAL.

Perhaps the single global error map is not the right approach. It is clearly
not the correct behavior to always map windows ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED on to
either EACCES or EBADF.

I'm not a cygwin hacker, but I'll make a patch if there is some consensus on
how to fix this. There also used to be tools for testing POSIX compliance
that might catch some other cases of this, but I don't have any info on that
at the moment.

Please CC me on any mail, as I'm not on the mailing list.

Thanks,

David F