Re: cygwin & opensshd on .net enterprise server

Ok, I typed too fast... none is supposed to be known... sorry

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Prentis Brooks wrote:

> Ok, The setgid is a none error to me.  This happens when the passwd
> files are not built properly.  Not your fault, some interesting Windows
> installations give mkpasswd and mkgroup headaches, particularly on
> Domain Controllers.
>
> If you check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group, you will find one of the
> following:
>
> 1) You have duplicate entries in /etc/passwd for the user you are trying
> to login as
> 2) You will find that the GID of your user in /etc/passwd does not exist
> in /etc/group (most likely for the setgid error).
>
> Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, make sure that your
> "Primary" NT group is in the /etc/group file and that it has the correct
> GID.   In some cases I saw mkgroup create a Domain group as GID 513 and
> /etc/passwd would use 10513 (I only saw this on a domain controller
> where this is both a local and a domain group) or vice versa.  I think
> it was the other way when I saw it.
>
> In short, fix your /etc/passwd and /etc/group so that they match and
> your problem should be corrected.
>

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, Tony Hain wrote:
>
> > I am looking for any clues on how to make cygwin & opensshd work on a
> > .net enterprise server, and found nothing in the mail archive. I had
> > been running Mark's opensshd specific environment on W2k server without
> > trouble. When I installed a fresh build 3615, OpenSSH_3.1p1 failed, so I
> > thought I would try the full cygwin. That is failing in the same way, so
> > after a couple of days experimenting I am stuck.
> >
> > With the intent of sending Mark a trace, I followed his instructions for
> > debugging by  using a scheduled task to get a system account command
> > window (if it is of any use, I have put a copy of the debug trace at the
> > end). What I found in the process is that there appears to be some
> > permissions related problem, because I get logged in as any valid user
> > over the ssh channel, but that immediately exits. Trying to figure that
> > out I found that the only process/user that can run the shell is the
> > system account. When I run sh, bash, or the cygwin.bat from any other
> > account it just exits, but they appear to work fine in the system
> > initiated command window. This is also true of many of the exe's in
> > /bin, although some of them just hang with 100% cpu for the non-system
> > user.
> >
> > One thing I found in the process is that the old passwd file is useless.
> > The only way I could log in using ssh with either Mark's sshd subset, or
> > the full cygwin was to use the mkpasswd & mkgroup process to build those
> > files from scratch with the NT UIDs. What the log showed before I did
> > that was 'Cygwin Process Id = 0xC78 : fatal: setuid 520: Not owner.'
> > Simply changing that got me to the point of 'password accepted', but
> > until the shell runs for all accounts, that does no good.
> >
> > I tried setting bash to W2k compatibility mode (actually all modes), and
> [...]

Prentis Brooks	| prentis@aol.net | 703-265-0914 | AIM: PrentisBrooks
Senior System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security

       A knight is sworn to valor.  His heart knows only virtue.  His blade
       defends the helpless.  His word speaks only truth.  His wrath undoes
       the wicked. - the old code of Bowen, last of the dragonslayers