Re: Adding col to cygutils.

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:14:27PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Why are you contributing to cygutils rather than cygwin itself?
>
>Actually, Chris, I think col *does* belong in cygutils.  On linux, it is
> found in the util-linux package -- a random grab bag of lots of small
>and useful, or small and not-so-useful, or small but
>totally-cygwin-inappropriate programs.

I am trying to force this kind of justification when someone suggests
that something go into cygutils.

Obviously cygutils is your package.  Maybe you feel comfortable doing
the thinking for people who want to add something to your package
but I'd prefer that there be some kind of discussion on why a tool does
not belong in the main distribution as part of the initial suggestion.

Otherwise, I will never be convinced that people aren't suggesting
adding things to cygutils because it seems somehow "easier" to do this
than submit a real package.  Either that or they just don't understand
that it is relatively easy to get a package into the main cygwin
distribution.

cgf