Re: copy registry settings win98->xp all->user

At 08:52 AM 6/6/2002, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I installed cygwin (recent beta) on a win98 computer somewhere on the local
>network. Works fine and I'm quite happy with it.
>
>However, I want to use cygwin in my XP workstation on the same network.
>
>I also admin a linux server on the same network which has sambe configured
>pretty well, and has many config files already, so I thought I'll mount my
>home dir from there and keep all the files there, and hopefully be able to
>keep a minimal configuration on the workstation.
>
>I created a network sare called "cygwin" on the win98 computer, and mapped it
>as N: in the XP. It is read-only.
>I also mapped P: to the home directory from the linux server. It is writable.
>

>I tried to run n:\bin\bash.exe , and got long delays, and all sorts of
>messages regarding /etc/profile.d/alias.sh not present . This was simply
>because '/' wasn't mounted.
>
>I tried exporting the registry settings from the win98 computer and adjusting
>them. I managed to merge the modified file, but still bash does not see any
>mounted systems. How do cygwin programs know if they should look in the
>system or in the user settings?

What exactly led you to the conclusion that the best approach to setting up
mounts on the XP system was to copy registry settings from the 98 machine?
Get rid of the registry entries you've created this way and just use 'mount'
to set up mount points like the ones you have on the 98 machine.  It's allot
simpler and requires no explicit registry manipulations.