Re: Mailcap and Cygwin/Mutt 1.2.5i

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 04:16:45PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> The mailcap function has *always* worked for me.  First, with my private
> mutt build before Cygwin provided a mutt package.  Then, with the
> standard Cygwin mutt.  And finally, with various 1.3.x and 1.4 private
> builds.
>
> I just added the following in my ~/.mutt/muttrc file:
>
>     set mailcap_path=~/.mutt/mailcap

Yes, I tried that and every variation I could think of thereof,
and it never worked for me with the Unixmail build of Mutt 1.2.5i,
but it does now for the current cygwin.com build of the same that
I just downloaded.

> Attached is my mailcap file that can be used as a sample.  I have some
> "glue" scripts (e.g., winword) that facilitate calling the real viewer.

Someone (Olaf?) recently posted a few of these on the mutt-users
list.

> > 1) The Unixmail package has mutt_dotlock, the mutt binary was
> >    compiled with +USE_DOTLOCK, and my muttrc has "set
> >    dotlock_program=bin/mutt_dotlock", but the cygwin.com
> >    binary does not have it.  Is the cygwin.com Mutt somehow
> >    more "dangerous" with regard to mail coming into an mbox
> >    that is being read (WIN2000 file system)?
>
> Probably not because the mbox files *should* be locked via fcntl()
> too but I would recommend verifying this WAG.

When I'm reading the incoming mbox and more mail comes in, the new
messages appear in the listing.  I take it that means it is being
locked, perhaps by fcntl()?

> My WAG is that you are using the procmail "-m" option, because there
> have been other recent posts reporting this problem.  If I'm correct,
> don't do that.  Instead invoke procmail (via fetchmail) as follows:
>
>     # from ~/.fetchmailrc
>     mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

Got the message.  I'll try that, thanks!

> Maybe?  See the following READMEs:
>
>     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/fetchmail/fetchmail-5.9.12.README
>     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/procmail/procmail-3.22.README

Thank you for the pointer!

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                Thomas.Baker@bi.fhg.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784