Re: more on inetd problems

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Jim.George wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> >
> > I removed all cygwin1.dlls except the one in /bin. I ensured that my
> > Control Panel PATH had E:\cygwin\bin at the start.
>
> Your Control Panel PATH for you or for the system? There are two
> environment variable settings. One for the user login and one for the
> system login.
>
> Even if you set the correct one, the system environment variable PATH it
> still wouldn't work. Why? Well because services are started before you
> login. And they pick up their environment at the time the system is
> booted. Setting the system environment variable to include Cygwin's bin
> directory then expecting service to automatically notice that is not
> gonna work. Remember services run even if you don't log in so therefore
> they are running before you log in. You need to refresh the system
> environment so that the services pick up the new PATH setting. How do
> you do that? Unfortunately you have to reboot. Otherwise you'll see
> something like what you mention below.
>
> > I then tried to restart inetd and got an error stating that no
> > cygwin1.dll could be found in a path that I have no recollection of.
> > It starts with e:\cygwin\usr\bin and then has multiple entries for
> > windows system directory (I hasten to add that they all point to the
> > same directory and none of them contain cygwin1.dll).
>
> Yes. The Windows loader, when loading a program, has to resolve all
> libraries (DLLs). How does it do this? Well it looks in the directory
> that the executable is in by default and if not found then checks all
> PATH components searching for the library. You system environment does
> now know how to find cygwin1.dll because it's unaware of the change that
> you made to PATH because you have not rebooted yet.

Thanks very much for this, and indeed all the advice I got whilst trying
to resolve the problem.

Whilst waiting I decided to try the unscientific approach of upgrading to
the latest release of cygwin and inetd, and guess what?  I'm now logged
into my box remotely sending you this mail so my thanks to all for your
help.

Regards,

Jim