trouble updating gcc

Hello,

I did update the shipped gcc (2.95 or so) with a newer one (v. 3.2).
I did not erase the older version, but I put the new on in a separate
directory.
This works fine except that :
1- I had to change the path to get access to the new version (i think this
is normal :-)
2- ld (linker) (which is invoked by gcc automatically), still tries to
access to older library folder as there was no new version of those
libraries. The path unfortunately have no effect on this...

How can I get rid of that ?

and  is there a canonical way to update any package inside cygwin ?

Thanks for any help,

Eric