Backspace and C-h in emacs -nw

I'm a bit stuck with a minor inconvenience in emacs.

Starting emacs in a win32-mode rxvt terminal (or at a cmd prompt) like this

  emacs -nw

or, bypassing my .emacs,

  emacs -q -nw

I get a nice color- and face-aware emacs. But C-h and Backspace are weird.
Executing 'describe-key' and entering C-h and Backspace produces the
following:

C-h:
  DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify

Backspace:
  C-d runs the command delete-char

I'd expected that C-h was a prefix, and that Backspace was received as DEL.
I've found no convenient way to enter C-h.

Am I the only one with this experience?

kind regards
Peter Ring