Re: How do you write scripts with portable filenames?

luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au wrote:
> "Portable" between Cygwin and Unix systems, that is.  I'm thinking of
> the problems caused in particular by command filenames having
> extensions on Windows and none on Unix.
>
> E.g. if I say "ls x", where X.EXE exists, ls will output x (as long as
> nocaseglob is set).  But "strings x" fails because the file x doesn't
> exist.
>
> Is my goal of writing portable shell scripts doomed?  Am I going to
> have to say "strings x.exe"?  :-(
>
> Is there any cool Cygwin magic to help with this, like there is in
> U/Win?

I _was_ pretty sure that this was supposed to 'just work'. (And it does with mv,
but not with rm). I guess this is a bug. I think you might be at least
temporarily stuck with using `uname` to find out if you are on cygwin, and
setting and using an EXEEXT variable throughout the script.

Max.