Subtle permissions bug in interaction between Makefiles & libtool (Cygwin-specific)

I've located an awkward bug in the interaction between common-sense Makefile
rules and Cygwin libtool.

The package I was building at the time was libiconv, but the issue is common to
any autoconf-libtool build system.

The libiconv.la file is installed as data (i.e. 644) - which is correct. However
the Cygwin specific postinstall_cmds in libtool use the same install command to
install the DLL. This results in the DLL being installed without execute
permission (on ntsec systems), and causes "The application failed to initialize
properly (0xc0000022)." errors from dependent exes.

As far as I can see, the fix would be to sed '-m 644' to '-m 755' in Cygwin's
postinstall_cmds. The problem is how (whether?) to deal with 600, 640, etc.

The same problem exists with automake in the build system (example package:
gettext), for the same reason.

Max.