RE: Setup window size: a suggestion

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> > > The current size of the property sheet pages follows a recommendation from
> > > Microsoft on how a setup wizard should look and feel. As such it should
> > > look and feel good on most desktops.
> > >
> > > As far as I remember the main purpose of resizable pages is to make the
> > > chooser resizable.
> > >
> > > Other than that I don't see a reason to have them.
> >
> > Right.  But we definitely need to do something to make the chooser
> page a bit
> > less user-hostile.  My current thinking, if I can get it to work of
> course, is
> > to have that one page just be bigger, but not to have
> user-available resizing.
>
> Doesn't MoveWindow () help with this issue ?

MoveWindow() makes the window bigger, but does not change the positions of the
Next/Back/etc buttons.  I think what I'll end up doing is MoveWindow()'ing them
as well, once I figure out where to MoveWindow() them to.

> Do you think to make the choose bigger by default as opposed to bigger
> based on user choice ?

Yes.

> Personally, I would prefer to decide by myself if I
> want this feature or not.

Jeez, one cross at a time here, come on! ;-)

> Btw a single bigger page won't fit well in the
> picture.

I know.  But I can't think of a better option.  If we spawn off a separate
dialog, we're basically back to what we had before, which was even more
suboptimal.  MS themselves, in some of the more complicated installers I've seen
from them, seem to keep the smaller box and have something very similar to what
Rob's implemented in the default chooser view.  But it's cramped too and you're
thinking the whole time, "there's gotta be a better way".

So I'm more than open to ideas about different ways to handle this than a bigger
chooser.  I just can't think of any.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.