Re: cygwin login and passwords

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:30:19AM +0100, Chris January wrote:
> > Is changing uid's and gid's in /etc/passwd something
> > to be avoided,  since I assume these are windows assigned?
> >
> > Need su and login to work seemlessly with windows'
> > passwords in order to allow remote logins and ssh
> > clients. Currently, login does not recognize valid
> > windows passwords.
> I have a version of su that runs on Cygwin. However I need someone to

How are you doing that?  If you're doing that by giving create
token privileges or something like that to your account, that's
not a vaild approach.

If su is using a service under SYSTEM account, that's ok.  But then
it's not needed at all since one can just use `ssh localhost' and a
running sshd to get the same.

> tell me how to coerce bash into running interactively (currently needs
> to be forced via -i flag). I'm starting bash using CreateProcess.

Login shells get their name preceeded by a dash in argv[0] from their
parent:

 -sh
 -bash

Corinna