Re: Crontab problems

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> --- Raphael <raphael@oninet.pt> wrote:
> > Hi guys/girls~,
> >
> > I'm having a bit of a problem with my windows based editor. Using
> > it with
> > Pine or Mutt is not problem. Using it with Crontab -e gives a
> > sharing
> > violation error when I want to save the new file.
> >
> > Is this a crontab problem?
>
> Use vi.exe

Most windows editors adopt a remove-and-recreate (or rename-and-recreate)
policy.  This basically means that they will try to remove or rename the
crontab-created file (which will fail, silently), and then create that
file over (which will fail since crontab has it open).  This is where your
sharing violation comes from.  I've verified this with notepad and
editpad, but I'm sure most of the others will behave similarly.  Thus,
looks like using a cygwin-based editor is your only option, unless you can
find a windows one that writes the files in-place.  If this creates one
more convert for the vi camp, all the better. ;-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file