Re: Question about cygwin process behaviour and bash interactive mode

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 08:36:08PM +0100, Chris January wrote:
>Upon further examination it would appear this is a bug in the tty
>handling code.  First of all, this behaviour is only observed when the
>tty flag is set in the CYGWIN environment variable.  It seems that the
>tty code uses pipes for some reason or another (see tty::make_pipes).

Yeah, it's that wacky tty code in cygwin, always doing wild things like
setting up pipes and stuff.

>However, if a non-cygwin program is launched, which then launches
>another cygwin program, the second cygwin program doesn't detect that
>it's stdin and stdout pipes were created by the tty code (and hence
>should be handled by fhandler_tty).  I don't really understand this
>code well enough to fix this - perhaps someone else could take a look?

It's not a bug.  It's a "don't do that".

All sorts of information gets lost if you have a cygwin program call a
windows program which calls a cygwin program.  The 'ttyness' of a pipe
is only part off the lost info.

cgf