Re: Crontab problems

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 07:55:36PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Raphael wrote:

> > > I don't know about mutt, but pine, IIRC, does not keep the file open while
> > > it's being edited by an external editor.  It re-opens the file afterwards,
> > > which is why it doesn't care whether it's the same file, or a newly
> > > created one.
> >
> > Hi Igor,
> > But do you have any idea why Cron shouldn't be able to act the same?
>
> Quoting straight from the crontab-3.0.1-7 source (crontab.c:418):
>
>         /* we still have the file open.  editors will generally rewrite the
>          * original file rather than renaming/unlinking it and starting a
>          * new one; even backup files are supposed to be made by copying
>          * rather than by renaming.  if some editor does not support this,
>          * then don't use it.  the security problems are more severe if we
>          * close and reopen the file around the edit.
>          */
>
> Hope this answers your question.

Hmmm, it answers the question, but raises others. I cannot see the security
issue for Cygwin as I now work arround by editing /var/cron/tabs/<currentuser>
directly and restarting the service afterwards.

> By the way, the patch to close the file
> and re-open it is trivial, and is left as an exercise for the reader.

Great but without any C knowledge I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm
wondering, if Corinne is reading this, if the patch might not be standarized
for Cygwin considering the interchangability between Cygwin and Windows.
Ofcourse only if there is really no security issue.

> Boy, I get to quote the source a lot these days...  Not that I'm
> complaining or anything... :-D

I'm sure everyone is very greatfull for you sharing this information. It's
considarably more informative than a blunt ŽUse vi.exeŽ some people try
to kill a thread with. Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Raphael.