ntsec vs ntea

I have been using Cygwin with a value CYGWIN="ntsec ntea binmode tty"
for a long time under Win2k and WinXP with NTFS hard drives.  On
rereading the documentation, it seems to me that the "ntea" and
"ntsec" values select different solutions to the same problem, and
that there is no reason to set both.  Is this a correct
interpretation?  Which method is used when both flags are set?  Which
is the best one to use?  If I switch to using just one of them, will I
encounter any problems due to having used the other?