Re: Bash script and export CLASSPATH

This is the way shells usually work.  When you execute a shell script, it
gets executed as a new process.  Unfortunately, child processes cannot
affect the environment of the calling parent.  This means that the process
executing the shell script cannot influence the environment of the process
giving you your commandline prompt.  If you were to check the value of
$CLASSPATH within your shell script, you would see that it would be set
correctly.  If you want to change environment variables, most shells allow
you to source files to set the environment variables.

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Brian Rowe wrote:

> Hello,
> If I export CLASSPATH=blah on the command line it
> works fine.  If I write a shell program that sets the
> CLASSPATH it won't set it!  When I echo the value its
> right from the script, but when its done the CLASSPATH
> is not set.  Any ideas on why this wouldn't work?
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export CLASSPATH="C:\jdk\lib\tools.jar"
>
> Run that, then check echo $CLASSPATH at the command
> line and CLASSPATH is the same.
> odd?

If you don't give cats milk, they turn back into dragons.

Joey Bernard
Programmer/Analyst, Projects Division

CARIS
264 Rookwood Ave.