Re: authentication in cygwin

Christoffer Walther wrote:
> Hello, I am used to a UNIX environment, I want to setup an ftp server
> on my windows 2000 ws. However, I get 'login incorrect' when I
> attempt to log in to the ftp server. There seems to be no encrypted
> passwords in /etc/passwd, exactly how do cygwin/ftpd do
> authentication?

On NT/2k/XP? It uses the users Windows password.

> I added the test user in the windows user area as
> well, and did a mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd. I also tried to changed
> the password using passwd but /etc/passwd is not affected at all.

Hello? Every password field in mkpasswd output contains
"unused_by_nt/2000/xp". I don't see how you can misunderstand that.

> PS, the install program is terrible, whatever I do it seems to
> install everything from scratch whenever I just want to add a new
> package.

It doesn't do that for me. More details, please.

> Cygwin is interesting but seems very heavy to get to work
> proberly.

Sometimes people do run into problems with getting services working, but
otherwise its pretty easy to use.

Max.