RE: Question about Running GNU Utilities on Windows XP

Yu Wang writes:

> Did you met any problem when you use tail.exe on a
> file with long filename.
> The command: tail paratestdatalog.out

Works.

> The command: tail paratestdatalog.gold

Works.

> The command: tail parate~1.gold

Does not work. If part of the filename is using the "short notation",
the other part shouldn't. The file is either a short name, or a long
name. You can't pick and choose a short prefix and a long suffix.

> The command: tail parate~1.out

Works, because "out" is the same in both short and long forms.

Here are my attempts with "paratestdatalog.gold":

    bash-2.05b$ echo foo > paratestdatalog.gold
    bash-2.05b$ tail paratestdatalog.gold
    foo
    bash-2.05b$ tail parate~1.gol
    foo
    bash-2.05b$ tail parate~1.gold
    tail: parate~1.gold: No such file or directory
    bash-2.05b$ tail parate~1.*
    tail: parate~1.*: No such file or directory

The last one is because I guess the cygwin layer does not attempt to
treat a filename as a "short" prefix for the purposes of filename
expansion (i.e. filename expansion is always done on the long variants).

--
Shankar.